Friday, April 20, 2012

We Have Arrived

Well we have finally arrived.  24 hours after departure we arrived in Gwangju.  We were met by Korean Rotary members with large boquets of red roses, flashing cameras, our interpreters...and an overall rockstar greeting.

The journey was long.  We had 14 hours in flight that was relatively smooth except for some rough turbulenece coming down from the North Pole over Russia.  It was enough to make all of us gasp and the 11 year old Korean girl next to me grab my hand.

I must say, I have been taken back by the beauty of the Korean women.  They are all flawless with glowing skin and perfectly placed hair.  Other surprises include the pace at which everyone here moves.

Despite the fact that we were seated at the front of the bus on the ride to Gwangju, we were the last ones off of the bus as all of the Koreans orderly filed off ahead of us.  When we arrived at the hotel, the elevator doors were another challenge.  The closed so quickly that Brandon and I had a comical adventure trying to get all of the luggage out of the doors while they kept shutting on us.

When I arrived at my hotel room, some friendly Koreans had to help me figure out how to get into it.  Apparently you have to pull the door open instead of pushing.  The beds were hard, but not in the floor.  The toilet was quite amusing with many buttons.  I tested it out by pressing all of them of course.  The shower had 5 heads on it and sprayed every which direction.  I even noticed a "courtesey bell" in a bathroom at the airport.  I'm guessing you hit this to hide any sounds that you may be making in your stall.

Not many people here speak english, and most writing is in Korean as well.  I'm quickly realizing just how challenging the next month is going to be in terms of communication and food.

We are off this afternoon to meet our first home stay families.  I'm eager to finally be immersed in the Korean culture and looking forward to the journey ahead.





Until next time - Candace (on behalf of the team).

No comments:

Post a Comment